Our Nigerian subsidiary, Nigeria Westminster Dredging and Marine Limited in collaboration with NGO, Family Care Association (FCA), executed a Malaria Control and Prevention Project under the umbrella of the Nigeria Malaria Control and Prevention Programme. The programme which took place in Ilaje LGA, Ondo state was managed by a team of FCA medical professionals, volunteers and project coordinators and reached out to the riverine communities of Igbokoda, Ugbonlo, Aiyetoro and Ilowo. Malaria is something the communities face on a daily basis.
- Distribution of 2,000 LLIN (Long-Lasting Insecticidal Nets)
- Intermittent Preventive Treatment for pregnant women
- Free Rapid Diagnostic Tests for malaria
- Free ACT malaria medication for those who tested positive for malaria, with emphasis on pregnant women and children under five years
- A key aspect of the programme was to address malaria prevention education and awareness through campaigns, seminars and lectures. Two hundred (200) community health workers, nurses, pharmacists and medical personnel from within the LGA received training and certification in malaria prevention and control, as well as training for 3,016 community agents.
A comparison between individual’s using LLINs in an appropriate manner and members in the same community that are not using LLINs showed the malaria prevalence rate was reduced by nearly half among those using the nets. This significant reduction in the malaria prevalence has a major positive effect on the health and economic wellbeing of the communities.